Program to print music list?
Kyle
2005-12-05 04:18:57 UTC
Is there such a thing that will print a catalog of your music
collection?
--
Kyle
Kyle's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2541
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18804
MrC
2005-12-05 04:53:43 UTC
Sure, there are a number of different CD / digital music cataloging
software packages out there. OrangeCD, Helium 2006, MP3 Collector,
Music Label 2006 etc. They all create not only database catalogs, be
can also print or export to various formats such as HTML, XML, etc.
--
MrC
MrC's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=468
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18804
ceejay
2005-12-05 09:38:53 UTC
Or see the helper program to go with this plugin...
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18418

It will apparently parse your slim database and print stuff out...

Ceejay
--
ceejay
ceejay's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=148
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18804
jth
2005-12-05 15:12:56 UTC
Yes, DirectPlayBook.pl will print out your music collection from the
slimserver's point of view. It's pretty bare-bones but with a bit of
knowledge of SQL and the slimserver's database tables, you could
customize it to print whatever you want. It currently prints to plain
text, but I'm working on a PDF version. Here's an excerpt of what it
looks like:

Code:
--------------------
657 - Bob Marley - Legend
4441 - Is This Love
4442 - No Woman No Cry (Live)
4443 - Could You Be Loved
4444 - Three Little Birds
4445 - Buffalo Soldier
4446 - Get Up Stand Up
4447 - Stir It Up
4448 - Easy Skanking
4449 - One Love / People Get Ready
4450 - I Shot The Sheriff
4451 - Waiting In Vain
4452 - Redemption Song
4453 - Satisfy My Soul
4454 - Exodus
4455 - Jamming
4456 - Punky Reggae Party
295 - Boccherini - Quintet For Guitar & Strings In D Major, G. 448 "Fandango" / Savino / Artaria /
HCX 3957026
2691 - Pastorale
2692 - Allegro Maestoso
2693 - Grave Assai - Fandango
--------------------
--
jth
jth's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=48
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18804
bruce
2005-12-23 08:19:45 UTC
How can I print a list of my library sorted by album artist -- the
primary artist on an album (which is already a tag, right?) -- and then
by album?

iTunes (which I use to manage my library) can sort by artist and then
album, but that results in compilations, soundtracks, etc. being listed
multiple times (because each song has a different artist) and therefore
dominating the list, even though I don't care about those artists.

DirectPlay seems to do the same.

Ideally I would actually like to sort first by genre, then by album
artist. But I can get around the genre problem by just printing
multiple lists.

Thanks for any help!
--
bruce
bruce's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2955
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18804
joncourage
2005-12-29 16:08:15 UTC
The tagging utility I use can export all the files from a folder of your
choice on down, along with all the tags that you specify, to Excel or
HTML. From there it's just a matter of sorting and printing.

I'm using Tagscanner.
--
joncourage
joncourage's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2837
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18804
bruce
2006-02-08 19:00:08 UTC
TagScanner 4.9 correctly found all my 5000 tracks, but has correctly
found just the length of each file. Almost all the files say "no
Artist" and "no Title". The only exceptions are the handful of files
whose tags I previously edited with another tag editor. Do you have any
idea what's wrong?

These are MP3 files ripped and automatically tagged with iTunes. The
tags show up fine in iTunes, SlimServer, etc.

I've emailed the TagScanner guy but I'm not counting on an answer, so I
figured I'd ask here. Thanks!
snarlydwarf
2006-02-08 19:43:46 UTC
Post by bruce
TagScanner 4.9 correctly found all my 5000 tracks, but has correctly
found just the length of each file. Almost all the files say "no
Artist" and "no Title". The only exceptions are the handful of files
whose tags I previously edited with another tag editor. Do you have any
idea what's wrong?
Well, since I went through something similar last night (blaming
everything but what the real problem was): check permissions. That
sounds like what slimserver was doing to me last night before I
realized it was a BUOD error -- 'bad user on device'. It could get the
track names, but couldn't play some tracks or get the tags read in
right.
--
snarlydwarf
snarlydwarf's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=1179
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18804
street_samurai
2006-02-14 18:52:57 UTC
I hate to sidetrack this thread but it seems appropriate:

I've tried a few different music cataloging software and none of them
allow you to just catalog your albums alone (excluding tracks). Some
will export only the Album field but will do it for -every- track.

Basically I just want a listing of all my Albums by Artist with the
year field. I know this could be tricky for Various Artists albums but
it doesn't seem that difficult.

Anyone seen software that can do this?

ss.
--
street_samurai
street_samurai's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=199
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18804
jth
2006-02-14 19:33:19 UTC
Basically I just want a listing of all my Albums by Artist with the year
field. I know this could be tricky for Various Artists albums but it
doesn't seem that difficult.
Anyone seen software that can do this?
ss.
Here's the approximate SQL you need to get this sort of listing:

select contributors.name, albums.title, albums.year from albums,
contributors where albums.contributor = contributors.id order by
contributors.name, albums.year;

If you can get my DirectPlayBook.pl script working, you can just remove
the existing SQL statements and replace them with this
one to get the listing that you are looking for.
Skunk
2006-02-14 19:32:55 UTC
Post by street_samurai
Basically I just want a listing of all my Albums by Artist with the
year field. I know this could be tricky for Various Artists albums but
it doesn't seem that difficult.
I'm not sure about the year field, but to print a list of albums I've
gone to Browse Music Folder on the web interface, opened the frame with
the albums in a new window, and printed from there. If you named your
directories with years, it might solve your problem.

EDIT: sorry to be of no help, it just occured to me- most people
probably make directories by artist and it wouldn't format like mine
does.
--
Skunk
Skunk's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2685
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18804
MrC
2006-02-14 20:17:25 UTC
Post by street_samurai
I've tried a few different music cataloging software and none of them
allow you to just catalog your albums alone (excluding tracks). Some
will export only the Album field but will do it for -every- track.
Basically I just want a listing of all my Albums by Artist with the
year field. I know this could be tricky for Various Artists albums but
it doesn't seem that difficult.
Anyone seen software that can do this?
ss.
As i mentioned in the second post of this thread, try OrangeCD. I use
it and it does exactly what you want.
Jon
2006-02-14 23:41:09 UTC
What would be really cool would be a way to build a personal music
catalog (perhaps in PDF format), that includes not only artist and song
titles, but also a copy of the album cover ...
--
Jon
Jon's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2848
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18804
MrC
2006-02-15 01:54:54 UTC
Post by Jon
What would be really cool would be a way to build a personal music
catalog (perhaps in PDF format), that includes not only artist and song
titles, but also a copy of the album cover ...
You mean something like the attached (unzip and view the PDF)?

|Filename: music catalog.zip |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=895|
Jon
2006-02-15 02:19:52 UTC
Post by MrC
You mean something like the attached (unzip and view the PDF)?
Oh yeah ... I'm assuming you did that with OrangeCD? When I checked out
their web site, it seemed that you have to insert each CD for it to
catalog them. Does it have a means of using the information (tags and
album art, or WMA lossless files) that is already on my hard drive? I
am not keen on (re)inserting 800 CDs into my CDROM drive ...
MrC
2006-02-15 05:37:29 UTC
Oh yeah ... just what I was looking for! I am assuming you used
OrangeCD to do this ... I looked at their web site and it was unclear
how this would work with WMA files already on my hard disk ... but I
downloaded and installed it, and it works great! I suspect that, in my
case, it used the folder and file names to get the required info, since
they don't claim to directly support WMA ... but however it did it, it
worked great!
Just curious, have you looked at a competitive product called CATraxx,
and if so how do they compare? they showed up on a google search for
OrangeCD ...
At any rate, thanks for the tip!
As you discovered, OrangeCD catalogs by format (CD, DVD, on-disk music
files, etc.). It can do any/all of reading existing music on-disk, and
catalog your CDs. It does support WMA. Be sure to try the newest beta
version - i've been using the daily builds and the new beta for a
while. The developer, while very slow and unresponsive, does solid
work.

I've looked at CATraxx, and a bunch of others. I didn't care for
CATraxx, but at least one other person in these Slim forums does like
it. I wrote up a little review of various programs on the OrangeCD
forums - seach for helium and you should find it.

If you don't have Adobe Acrobat to produce PDFs, download and install
the free, opensource PDFCreator.
street_samurai
2006-02-16 19:33:03 UTC
Thanks all. I'll check out OrganeCD for sure, its the only cataloger I
didn't try from the first page.

I do keep my albums in Artist - Album [Year] directory names but I'd
ideally like everything in some kind of database readable format and
because of various inconsistencies in the name importing, a "dir /s >
albumlist.txt" type command into Excel doesn't import correctly.

Thanks for the help!

ss.
street_samurai
2006-02-20 03:42:03 UTC
Just a quick update to this thread.

Orange CD doesn't support Flac... although I agree that it is a very
nicely designed program for sorting your MP3 collection.

Anyone else have any suggestions for a cataloging software that can
output: Artist - Album - Year to a database readable format...
preferably for windows and without a database query... and one that
knows what at Various Artists album is...?

I know... I'm sooo picky.

Thanks!

ss.
Mark Lanctot
2006-02-08 19:23:20 UTC
I was using MPEG Audio Collection until recently:

http://mac.sourceforge.net/

Since I've uninstalled it, I can't remember
whether it provides a means of printing output,
but you may want to give it a try.
Post by bruce
tags show up fine in iTunes, SlimServer, etc.
I've emailed the TagScanner guy but I'm not counting
on an answer, so I
Post by bruce
figured I'd ask here. Thanks!
--