MP3Tag and Musicbrainz
yocky
2012-07-11 20:15:11 UTC
I can't seem to get MP3Tag to correctly write Musicbrainz IDs to my
files, but I suspect it's something very basic that I'm doing wrong.

My workflow goes something like this:

Load files from one album in MP3Tag
Select files
Hit "Tag Sources" followed by "Musicbrainz"
This brings up a dialogue box with the album name filled in already. I
hit next.
Another window appears with the search results. I choose the correct one
and hit next.
The "Adjust Tag Information" window appears and I make sure everything
looks right and then OK it.

After seemingly having written Musicbrainz tags I rescan my library in
LMS, but the Musicbrainz IDs are not there. If I use Picard or Foobar to
do the tagging instead then the tags are written correctly. Picard and
Foobar seem to apply slightly different Musicbrainz tags because I've
added columns within MP3Tag to show me the Musicbrainz Album IDs that
have been correctly written by the other two programs. To see the Foobar
tags I needed to use the Column field "%MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMID%", and to
see the Picard tags it is "%MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ID%".

I'd much rather use MP3Tag, so where am I going wrong?

yocky's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=16305
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=95784
garym
2012-07-11 20:24:40 UTC
Post by yocky
[...]
Have you tried mp3tag forums. Some very helpful folks there....

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=95784
garym
2012-07-11 20:27:46 UTC
Post by garym
Have you tried mp3tag forums. Some very helpful folks there....
I can confirm that when I tested this, musicbrainz in mp3tag did add
some additional tags (album artist, year, etc.) but didn't add any
musicbrainz album ID tag.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=95784
garym
2012-07-11 20:30:53 UTC
I'm not a musicbrainz user, but perhaps mp3tag is simply using it as a
database to provide certain tag info (as it did with me) but it is not
using it to add musicbrainz specific fields to the tags. Someone at
mp3tag forums will know....

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=95784
reniera
2012-07-12 06:28:18 UTC
Why don't you use musicbrainz's picard tagger ?

reniera's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=40705
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=95784
yocky
2012-07-12 10:44:21 UTC
Post by reniera
Why don't you use musicbrainz's picard tagger ?
Hmm. I was loathe to do that given that I've just spent a few days
learning my way around MP3Tag....but given the solution I've just been
given on the MP3Tag forum involving installing scripts that may be the
way forward.

yocky
2012-07-12 10:30:00 UTC
Post by garym
I'm not a musicbrainz user, but perhaps mp3tag is simply using it as a
database to provide certain tag info (as it did with me) but it is not
using it to add musicbrainz specific fields to the tags. Someone at
mp3tag forums will know....
I've asked:

http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=15940

...but as usual it's never as simple as that. I sometimes wonder if I
ask questions in a bizarre fashion as I rarely get the sort of answer I
was expecting.

vagskal
2012-07-12 22:57:34 UTC
I find that the MP3Tag forum is not very friendly.

I think dano meant that you must install and use the MB Service ID
script to get the ID numbers imported via MP3Tag.

I use Jaikoz. It is not really user friendly or as configurable as I
would want but more so than Picard. Jaikoz is pretty much automatic if
you are satisfied with the tag set it provides (i.e. in fact easier to
learn than MP3Tag).

vagskal's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=20778
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=95784
yocky
2012-07-13 07:36:55 UTC
Post by vagskal
I find that the MP3Tag forum is not very friendly.
I think dano meant that you must install and use the MB Service ID
script to get the ID numbers imported via MP3Tag.
I use Jaikoz. It is not really user friendly or as configurable as I
would want but more so than Picard. Jaikoz is pretty much automatic if
you are satisfied with the tag set it provides (i.e. in fact easier to
learn than MP3Tag).
Thanks. I made my comment about the reply I got before dano replied
really. I've just tried the Musicbrainz script he pointed out and it
works perfectly so I'm pretty happy. I'll maybe give Jaikoz a go but
MP3Tag is doing what I need it to for the moment.

So for anyone else who's interested, get this set of scripts:
http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=4246, and copy
them to your MP3Tag Sources folder and you're good to go.

garym
2012-07-13 11:14:58 UTC
Post by vagskal
I find that the MP3Tag forum is not very friendly.
I've always had fast, high quality, useful feedback from any question
I've posted at the mp3tag forums. And even this poster received fast, on
point feedback to solve his issue. So I'm quite surprised at seeing that
forum referred to as "not friendly". Just my 2 cents....

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=95784
Nonreality
2012-07-21 23:09:57 UTC
Not sure what the advantage is with Musicbrainz. Is it really needed?
I use dbpoweramp and then customize with mp3tag. Curious as what
Musicbrainz does for you?

Nonreality's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=15723
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=95784
reniera
2012-07-22 04:29:32 UTC
Post by Nonreality
Not sure what the advantage is with Musicbrainz. Is it really needed?
I use dbpoweramp and then customize with mp3tag. Curious as what
Musicbrainz does for you?
In short ? Everything. Just run your files thru picard, it will
recognise the music, save, that's it.

garym
2012-07-22 10:58:12 UTC
Post by reniera
In short ? Everything. Just run your files thru picard, it will
recognise the music, save, that's it.
recognize the music? But if one has already ripped with a good ripper
(e.g., dbpa) with good metadata and album art, what would be the added
benefit. It sounds like you are saying if you have a bunch of music
files and you are not sure what the artist, album, title, etc. happens
to be that picard will discover this (from music fingerprinting or
something) and fill this info in for you. Am I correct about this?

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=95784
lrossouw
2012-07-24 17:00:43 UTC
Some advantages:
- The Music Brains tags are of quite higher quality than other sources
that don't have their review process (which can be annoyingly
stringent).
- They are consistent in capitalisaiton, artist names etc.
- They explicitly track different releases of the same album.
- They often have extra data on the cds and tracks.
- Adding the MBIDs to tracks make keeping track of trackstat data from
erland safer if you move files.
- Tracks can be recognised from audio fingerprinting tech or via the
original CD.

lrossouw's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3416
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=95784